Wednesday, January 9, 2013

calendar tea towel, framed

 
Hello, my friends. I can't believe how fast the first week of 2013 flew by. This time of year always finds me organizing and planning, fighting off the feeling of being overwhelmed. I thought I'd share with you a timely project, that couldn't be simpler. Who doesn't like simple? 

Do you remember the calendar tea towels from long ago? They're unusually well represented at every thrift store, especially from the 1960's - 1970's. Well, a number of designers still produce them annually. Find one you like and...

 It's a simple matter to stretch a tea towel on an artist's ready-made canvas. Most craft store sell them at a  reasonable price, especially if you're able to procure the ubiquitous weekly coupon.

I did two last year, with both a Christmas tea towel and a 2012 calendar. As I'm not planning on displaying the 2012 tea towel again, I'm recycling the canvas for this one.


You'll need:
your preferred tea towel,
 the canvas,
 strong pins,
 an iron,
 some water or ironing spray,
 and big surface on which to work.


If you'd like, you can elect to wash your tea towel and iron it while it's damp. I personally prefer to work with it new, as the manufacturer's sizing and crispness is still intact. 

It helps to iron in a sunny spot. I don't mind ironing if I've a view, and the sun is shining.
Simply iron all of the fold marks out, making it perfectly flat. Lay your tea towel face down on your table, place the canvas on top, and pin into place stretching as you go. Periodically, check to make sure you're happy with the spacing. Could not, be simpler.
I found mine at Cath Kidson. You can find lots of others, here.

26 comments:

Kim K. said...

Very very pretty. I've missed your beautiful pictures and postings. So good to have you blogging again, Miss Molly.

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Do you know how long I've wondered how you did that with the christmas calendar last year??

Yah!

Barbara said...

That is so pretty! I thought it had to be a Cath Kidston (and then I noticed the CK signature....) Really sweet, and I like the idea of framing it!

Fishtail Cottage said...

so darling!

Corrie said...

Thanks for the details! Happy New Year to you!

vintage grey said...

These are so gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing such prettiness!! xo Heather

chris mckinley said...

These are really cute!

Chris

Vintage Home said...

Oh so pretty...love them!

polkadotpeticoat said...

What a great idea....so cute!
take care Heidi

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! What a clever girl you are!

Helen Philipps said...

Hello Miss Molly! Your calendar tea towel project is just beautiful! I loved seeing your sunny and uplifting photos and hearing from you again too :)
Wishing you a happy year ahead.
Helen x

Crafted by Carly said...

What a great idea! And it looks to effective!!! Clever you!
I have to say that your little chair pincushion is the cutest I've ever seen! :-)
Carly
x

Simply Shelley said...

So pretty....blessings

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I get emails from Cath Kidston but don't know how to order from her. I just LOVE her things!! I have a Paypal account so I don't know if that would work or not. Also have a VISA charge card. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!! Sandy B

Pinecone said...

Soooo cute!!
xo
Ashlyn

Everyday Things said...

fantastic and timely post for me as my DD gave me a really teatowel for xmas and after seeing your post I wanted to do the same, only cant find a canvas a suitable size for the towel as its not a usual size! so now on the hunt for a canvas! lol! its always something!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that adorable canister set? Are they new or vintage? Cindy

pipigirl said...

love the canister set too!!!nieersu

craftyles said...

What a pretty project. The calendars are beautiful art work. Your pic's are amazing too!

Anonymous said...

Found you on the side bar of Echos of Laughter yesterday. Spent a better part of last night and today reading your whole blog. I like how you decorate your home. Where did you end of getting those canisters pictured? Also could you do a home tour sometime soon? Thans much! Andrea in WA

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

such a beautiful and clever idea, molly! i always love your cheerful and bright photos too...so very pretty. hope the new year is treating you right!

koralee said...

Your sweet home always inspires me...those tea towels are stunning and now I want those tins of yours....pure joy. Hope your January is moving along well and you are finding oodles of joy along it's path. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dying to know where to buy those canisters!

Scarlet-Sometimes said...

such beautiful, fresh and vibrant pictures, they never fail to hit the spot!!!!!!!

katrina rox said...

If you are looking for efficient yet affordable dc carpet cleaning services in DC, then dc carpet cleaning highly recommend you to consult dc carpet cleaning services.dc carpet cleaning are high-performing carpet cleaning services company here in Washington DC, where our clients are high-end professionals, and businessmen.

Anonymous said...

Those sweet canisters came from Cath Kidston in the year 2011 or older, is what I found out after much searching online. For those of us just discovering CK from Birdie Blue, our best chance is if they go for sale on ebay in the US or the UK. Andrea in WA.