Did you know the best banana bread ever was created in my own little kitchen? According to the chef, Miss Rosie (age 4), this is award-winning bread.
She gathered some bananas past their prime, Giardelli bitter-sweet chocolate chips, and some chopped toasted walnuts. Throwing them together in the recipe-required method (and with a little help), resulted in some pretty fine banana bread...
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, beating well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with butter mixture.
- Blend well.
- Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Stir well.
- Stir in the nuts and pour batter into pan.
- Sprinkle with floured chocolate chips.
- Bake 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn out onto rack to cool.
Rosie now refers to herself as an expert banana masher.
She's always at the ready, should the need arise.