Monday, September 27, 2010

book it

Hello, my friends. Did you have a nice weekend?
 I've been reading quite a bit lately. If you'll indulge me, time for a little book talk.

Loved Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. A sweet novel set in Edgecombe St. Mary, a small village in the English countryside, filled with rolling hills, thatched cottages and quite the cast of characters. The story centers around Major Pettigrew and her unexpected friendship with a Mrs. Jasmina Ali, a Pakistani shopkeeper from the village. Drawn together by their shared love of literature and the loss of their spouses, the Major and Mrs. Ali soon find their friendship developing (against all odds) into something more. A lot of fun to read, with a wonderful sense of place and personality, I recommend this book.
 I liked The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. Two sisters, Emily and Jessamine Bach, are opposite in every way. One is a making a fortune in Silicon Valley, the other works in an antiquarian book store. It's a novel about getting and spending, and about the substitutions we make when we can't find what we're looking for: reading cookbooks instead of cooking, speculating instead of creating, collecting instead of living. Very reminiscent of a Jane Austen novel.

I was intrigued by The Passage by Justin Cronin. Having read and loved another one of his books, The Summer Guest, I couldn't have been more surprised. They're absolutely nothing alike. The Passage is a scary dystopian epic of a novel set in a time where science and the military have run amok and inadvertently released a terrible virus. It's a dark morality tale of what can happen when humans push the envelope regarding the laws of nature. Again, wonderful character development, sense of place and downright scarily realistic. I understand it's the first of a three part series and that the movie rights have already been auctioned by Ridley Scott. This is one novel you will lay awake thinking about...have I mentioned it's scary?

Have you read anything good lately?

6 comments:

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

These do look like a good read indeed. I haven't read anything good lately, as a matter of fact, I haven't read a real book in months! Magazines, I eat magazines these days. Cannot find the patience to start {and end} a book ;D
Hope your week is off to a great start, Molly xoxo

Brenda Kula said...

No, but I've decided I do want to read more novels. Must get off the computer and spend some time with my head in a book!
Brenda

koralee said...

Thank you for the lovely reviews...I have not read anything since school started...oh I do miss my summer reading.

Hugs my friend.

knit witty said...

I'm going to head out to the book store tonight. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I like to read, too.

Claudia said...

I thank you for these recommendations! I'm always on the lookout for good books to read. I have several already lined up to read (apart from the books I have to review) and I will add these to the list.

By the way, I'm not into romances at all, so reviewing that book today was a challenge!

xo
Claudia

Dee said...

I loved The Passage. I have recommended it to so many friends. I love the way that you described it. It gave me nightmares, and made me want to learn how to be more self sufficient! (garden, canning, mending, etc....)